The Baxter History
The Baxter is a community run charitable organization embracing the arts. Found in Bloomfield, Ontario our home is the lovingly re-purposed Baxter Canning Factory cafeteria. Read a bit more about our history by clicking through the historical images below.
J.D. Baxter was born March 16th, 1911 to J. Edwin Baxter & Gertrude L. Burr in Bloomfield.
Don married Helen Gertrude Denike in 1937. They lived in Bloomfield for the rest of their lives.
Don Baxter was the BCC's Plant Manager in 1934, eventually serving as President and GM.
In 1934 the name changed from Baxter-Purtelle Canners to The Baxter Canning Co.
A fully modern plant reopened on the same site after a disastrous fire in 1964.
In 1975 Hardee Farms purchased controlling interest in 1986.
The Cafeteria provided economical meals for Baxter workers, serving lunch, and dinner.
The County's canning industry ran from 1882-1996, it was known as the Garden County of Canada.
In the 1970s the building was used as a Baxter Canning Co. warehouse & sales outlet.
These brands became well known across Ontario & Quebec. Morden's transport trailers shipped the goods.
As a young man, Edwin taught school in PEC before taking up farming in Bloomfield c. 1903.
Edwin's obituary described him as a canning industry pioneer.